Udpcast compilation instructions
Compiling udpcast itself (server version)
- Untar the file:
tar xzvf udpcast-20120424.tar.gz
- Cd into the source directory:
- As root, install:
Compiling the menu system
The bootloader of udpcast version uses busybox. In order to save space, it should be compiled against uclibc rather than glibc. So, before compiling the menu system itself, you first need to set up uclibc'c buildroot environment.
Building buildroot environmentBuildroot is an environment to compile programs with uclibc instead of glibc.
- Download buildroot fromhttp://buildroot.uclibc.org/
- Unpack it
- First run make menuconfig
- Select the submenu ToolChain
- Scroll down
- Enable large file (files > 2GB) support
- Put the resulting output/host/usr/bin/i386-unknown-linux-uclibc-* files in a directory which is in your PATH (for example/usr/bin)
Compiling the boot dialog itselfIn order to compile the menu system, first get the following software, and put them into one directory:
- udpcast-20120424.tar.gz udpcast itself
- udpbusybox-20120424.tar.gz the menu system (includes modified dialog library)
- busybox a utility which combines tiny versions of many common UNIX utilities into a single small executable.
- addBbApp.pl script to add a new application to busybox.
- busybox-config-maxi-1.20.0.txt configuration file for compiling "fullbox" format of busybox
- busybox-config-mini-1.20.0.txt configuration file for minimal format of busybox
To compile busybox with the udpcast menu system, download a virgin 1.20.0 busybox tar file (or later) from http://www.busybox.net/, and proceed as follows:
tar xfjv busybox-1.20.0.tar.bz2 cd busybox-1.20.0 tar xfzv ../udpcast-20120424.tar.gz (cd udpcast-20120424 && ./configure) tar xfzv ../udpbusybox-20120424.tar.gz ../addBbApp.pl udpcdialog udpcast-20120424 cp ../busybox-config-mini-1.20.0.txt .config make
Copy .config.maxi to .config and compile again to get the "fullbox" version (for CD, USB and netboot images).
Compiling a kernel for udpcast
When makeing floppy images, special care must be taken to get a very small kernel. Your usual kernel included with your distribution is probably too large. Here is a small kernel .config file, set to include all that is needed by udpcast, and yielding a 620 K kernel. Use it as follows:
cd /usr/src/linux-3.1.6 cp /Downloads/udpc-config-3.1.6.txt .config make oldconfig make dep && make bzImage && make modules && make modules_install /usr/lib/udpcast/makeImage -t net-mod.tar.gz -k /usr/src/linux-3.1.6/arch/i386/boot/bzImage -f /dev/fd0
For network and CD boot images, you do not need to watch space.