[Udpcast] Multiple file transfer

Tyler Montbriand tyler at marieval.com
Thu May 2 17:28:01 CEST 2013

Like other UNIX tools, instead of building every possible feature into every
possible application, it's easily combined with other tools to accomplish
whatever goal.  Tar is meant for exactly what you want.  I often do things
like this on windows and unix hosts alike:

# Sending end

tar -cf - /path/to/sourcefolder | udp-sender

# receiving end

udp-receiver | tar -C /path/to/destfolder -xf -

If you want compression, make it -zcf and -zxf.

You can get a Windows tar.exe in unxutils, busybox-win32, or Cygwin.  Cygwin
will have the most complete and compatible tar.

  _____