[Udpcast] Feature request: MBR-only cloning

gencap at email.it gencap at email.it
Tue May 17 14:55:50 CEST 2011

It would be useful to have in device selection menu,

in addition to whole hard drive and partitions (hda, hda1..hdn),

a "MBR-only" item (e.g. to access just the first 512 bytes of the device).

Cloning a single partition it's usually enough (and it's the typical use)

but when the source partition has been resized, transferring the whole drive

could be a waste of time.

Of course, I'm referring to cast-o-matic generated images: with a

full-blown environment it's easy to "dd" and cast the MBR.

Another task that is pretty common in a classroom or lab environment,

is cloning the CMOS memory: I'm using a DOS based utility but

with a bunch of lines of code it should be possible to patch busybox

to handle CMOS memory operations.

 --
 Caselle da 1GB, trasmetti allegati fino a 3GB e in piu' IMAP, POP3 e SMTP
autenticato? GRATIS solo con Email.it: http://www.email.it/f

 Sponsor:
 Prenota la Vacanza entro il 20/5 un bambino fino 12 anni in camera con  i
genitori GRATIS (min 7 notti)Pens Compl da Euro 60. Sardegna-Castelsardo
Hotel Pedraladda
 Clicca qui: http://adv.email.it/cgi-bin/foclick.cgi?mid=11439&d=20110517