[Udpcast] Creating files within dhcp.script

Jens Breuer breuer.jens at googlemail.com
Mon Sep 21 22:33:12 CEST 2009

> In which directory do you put the script on CD?

I just edited the existing script under
/usr/lib/udpcast/tmpl/bin

> Personally, I use kvm, and it works like a charm!

I got my hands onto some real hardware lately and to me it appears as
if I was on the completely wrong track.
It seems as if it has nothing to do with writing to the filesystem but
with the network driver.

If I take a plain initrd created with cast-o-matic without
preconfiguration everything works as expected.

However, if I use cast-o-matic to preconfigure the initrd and set the
network driver to AUTO VirtualBox keeps crashing as described above.
On the real hardware the system hangs for a few minutes then
udpcdialog tells me:
=== snip ===
ifconfig: ioctl 0x8914 failed: No such file or directory
=== snap ===
At the same time in syslog (last line):
=== snip ===
<3>e100: eth0: e100_request_firmware: Failed to load firmware
"e100/d102e_ucode.bin": -2
=== snap ===
What puzzles me here, is that in syslog it says eth0 but in udpcdialog
(not preconfigured) I can see that eth1 is the active interface.

The error message in udpcdialog presents me an OK-button. If I click
it, I am prompted to enter an IP in the next screen. If I chose "Back"
there, I can chose whether to use dhcp or enter an IP manually. If I
chose dhcp everything is back to normal and I can continue to go
through the menu system.

The same goes for initrds created with makeImage. As long as I do not
do any preconfig everything works fine. If I preconfigure udpcdialog
and change nothing else I get the scenario described above.
Even if I explicitly preconfigure the driver to be used (e100) I face the error.
By now I am using the latest udpcast (20090920).

The system has two ethernet cards where one is connected to LAN and
the other not.

To be honest I am completely clueless where the solution of this
problem resides.
Additionally I do not know what further information might be needed to
track the problem down.
If you need any further information please do not hessitate to ask. I
will provide information immediately.

Thank you.

Jens