[Udpcast] using async and pointopoint options together

Alain Knaff alain at knaff.lu
Wed Sep 2 08:06:09 CEST 2009

Sel├žuk Cevher wrote:
>> You can specify an address to use to listen for the HELLO packet
>> (--mcast-rdv-address option), which itself will then contain a suggested
>> address for the multicast transfer.
>>

> But there won't be any HELLO message coming from the sending side since the
> sender is another application other than udp-sender. Does it mean that
> sending side should provide HELLO messages with the same format as
> udp-sender ?

Yes, obviously. It's the same thing as with ftp: If your ftp client does
not know how to handle control and data connection, it can't connect to
the server...

>> If your machine has more than one ethernet card, you may also pick which
>> card to use using the -i option. This influences the unicast adress that
>> the receiver uses.
>>

> As far as I know, by default, udp-receiver listens for its unicast address
> as well. Is udp-receiver capable of listening every UDP packet coming to its
> port numbered 9000 without expecting any HELLO message from the other side ?
>
> Thanks.

No, the HELLO packet is an integral part of the protocol. Just like ftp
can't do without a control connection, udpcast can't do without HELLO.