[Udpcast] Sender's timeout for waiting for receivers

Alain Knaff alain at knaff.lu
Tue Sep 23 22:37:53 CEST 2008

Dmitry Popov wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> Please confirm my guess (or explain how to implement it).
>
> I need a "sender-timeout", a period of time while sender waits for receivers
> to connect, and if none are connected - sender exits without transmission.
> The only way to implement this is shell/perl/... script, which starts
> udp-sender with --min-receivers option and monitors its stderr. If no
> "Starting transfer" is found during specified period of time - it kills
> udp-sender process.
>
> Regards,
>     Dmitry

Starting with today's version (20080914), you can combine the
--rexmit-hello-interval and --autostart flags to achieve the desired result.

--rexmit-hello-interval instruct udp-sender to retransmit its
announcement (hello) packet once every so many milliseconds (rather than
only once at the beginning).

--autostart instructs udp-sender to automatically start the transmission
after this many hello packets. Starting from today's version, it will
exit if no receivers have registered during that time (except in async mode)

So, for instance the following command would wait for 3 seconds, and
then start transmitting if there are receivers, and exit if there are none:

udp-sender --rexmit-hello-interval 300 --autostart 10