[Udpcast] newbie questions:

James Tipler james.tipler at stcatz.ox.ac.uk
Thu Mar 13 16:43:28 CET 2008

Hi, I apologize if this is a stupid question - actually, I rather hope it is
because if I've just missed something somewhere in the documentation then
this should be easy to sort out.

I've got about 30 work stations here that are used by conferences a dozen or
so times a year. Each time they come in they manage to make a mess of them
in one way or another, so each workstation gets re-imaged once they've gone
away. Currently, we do this with a little linux partition with G4L on it and
a little tweaking of the Windows NT boot loader. (Basically, run batch file
in windows - machine goes down, linux comes up, script runs, disk image.gz
is pulled from FTP server and written to the windows partition, machine goes
down, windows comes up, job'sagood'un)

This works rather nicely, but it takes a painfully long time as the FTP
server struggles under the load of 30 connections. UDP-cast looks perfect
for solving this problem, but I can't seem to make it work. This is the
command I've got:

(from the FTP server - windows 2003 machine)

Udp-sender.exe -file c:\bootfiles\image.gz

(from the client machines linux command line)

Udp-receiver -pipe "gzip -dc" -file /dev/sda1

The network infrastructure is very simple. All the machines involved are in
the same subnet 129.67.50.xx  (in fact they're all on the same switch to try
and keep this as fast as possible)

The UDP sender starts to run and awaits connections, but never seems to get
any.

The UDP receivers sit and wait for a control connection from the server, but
never get any either.

What am I doing wrong?