[Udpcast] clonezilla, drbl and udpcast

Alain Knaff alain at knaff.lu
Thu Jul 24 19:56:53 CEST 2008

allcoms wrote:
[...]
> When I've connected as many machines as possible, I would just be able
> to hit a key to start the broad/multicast. Setting a definite amount
> of time to wait or number of machines wouldn't work for me!
>
> The author of clonezilla and drbl has told me that #2 isn't do-able
> because this isn't supported by udpcast. Is he mistaken?

Bull. This is actually the default mode of udpcast operation: press a
key (on either the sender or on any of the receivers) to make the
transfer start.

Starting after a given time and/or after a certain machines are ready
are relatively late additions to the code. The basic mode of operation
is wait for keystroke to start.

And if a hardware failure would happen to any receiver *after* the
transfer had already been started (i.e. after that keypress), it will
wait for a small timeout (couple of minutes), then drop the offending
receiver, and continue.