[Udpcast] Other Application of UDPcast Capability (200812161107.AYC)

Abraham Y. Chen AYChen at Avinta.com
Wed Dec 17 00:04:18 CET 2008

Dear UDPcast Members:

0)   I am new to this mailing list. I was recently made aware of the
UDPcast facility. I am impressed by its simplicity and cross- platform
interoperability.

1)   What brought me to you is the search for a networking tool that I
have identified for many years. It appears that if we can configure the
front end of the UDPcast (just the initial phase of "broadcasting" and
"listening" part) to provide a near-real time overview of all active
devices on a network, we can empower mass consumers with a pieced of
crucial baseline information., that is, the instant health status of
their SOHO (Small Office Home Office) or Residential network, even
without an IT manager nor any technical know-how.

2)   I am a system engineer trained in hardware designs emphasizing
traditional RF and telephony. I can identify potential new applications
based on capable technical ingredients within an existing product.
However, I am not good at the actual detail implementations, especially
software. Since UDPcast is the result of an open source effort, I
thought that it would be prudent for me to check with you to see if
anyone would like to work with me on the idea that I have, so that the
outcome can benefit the general public.

3)    For those interested in what our team has accomplished up to now,
please have a look at a set of overview slides:

    http://www.avinta.com/phoenix-1/home/ProjectPhoenixPrimer.pdf

    With basic network architecture and transmission capabilities
identified for satisfying MaP (Mom and Pop) type of users, we have been
looking for the next level intuitive building block. That is, with so
many devices possible on a SOHO network, how could an owner get a
concise visual summary of which ones are currently online? Once this is
provided, MaP will have a clear reference line to deal with potential
cause of network issues, either by doing their own "unplug and swap"
substitutions or having enough confidence to deal with techsupport
personnels.

4)   I will be glad to write then submit a product specification type of
document describing details of my thoughts as an outline to begin more
specific discussions, if anyone would indicate the interest in working
with us. As implied, the end product of this effort will be a utility
distributed to mass consumers for them to enjoy network services because
they will be able to "manage" the very basics of  their own network.

I look forward to any thoughts and comments.

Regards,

Abe (2008-12-16, 15:03)
Skype: Abraham.Y.Chen