[Udpcast] Sata-modules

Wolfgang & Elke Schmid ewschmid at web.de
Tue Mar 27 18:42:25 CEST 2007

Am Montag, 26. März 2007 20:15 schrieb Wolfgang Schmid:
> Am Montag, 26. März 2007 17:55 schrieben Sie:
> > Wolfgang Schmid wrote:
> > > I've gopt the following problem:
> > > I use cast-o-matic and do all the settings, choosing also the
> > > ahci-sata-module, resp. (knoppix 5.2 lsmod tells me to take it). It
> > > even says that it'll include this driver in the bootable cdrom-image:
> > > "You have chosen the following disk modules: ahci"
> > > So I download image and burn it.
> > > But it doesn't work -
> > > the cd boots correctly but the module isn't
> > > used automatically and it also can't be found in the list the menue
> > > offers :-(
> >
> > I have a suspicion that your device is not actually ahci, but a
> > different SATA chipset. Could you try downloading the full udpcd.iso
> > (which includes _all_ drivers...) and check whether it proposes a
> > different SATA module?
> >
> > The menu system usually works as follows: it checks the installed
> > hardware, and if this hardware is compatible with modules on the CD,
> > only these are listed, (but you can get the full list by clicking on
> > Others). If none match, the full list is diplayed immediately. But so
> > far the "full" list had an issue in that not all directories were
> > scanned for modules. However, that is is now fixed in today's version
> > (20070326), now the full list is really full.
>
> yea,  that was what i meant
> maybe its running now...
> I'll try tomorrow (i've no access to the machines now)
> Regards
>
> > > I also to check all but none of the modules is included (other
> > > preconfiguring issues work e.g. network module)
> > >
> > > Best regards, Wolfgang
> > > (Thanks for the quick reply)
> >
> > Regards,
> >
> > Alain
Heureka!
Now it works:
1.: the module (ahci) is within the menue-list
2.: the partition table is read correctly
3.: cloning is still to be tested (tomorrow)!
Today i tried other machines with little success - it stopped and disconnected
after a few MBs - many re-xmits! - probably big cable trouble :-(

Questions:
1.:What does /dev/hda:block mean? (appears in the table menue beside the other
partition entries)
2.: is the MBR cloned when using the option: /dev/hda (whole dik)?
Thanks and regards
Wolfgang