[Udpcast] Mirroring files, security, etc.

Forrest Aldrich forrie at forrie.com
Fri Mar 2 19:05:35 CET 2007

Is anyone using UDPCast to periodically mirror files... ?

I see a couple of older (2003) posts that ask somewhat similar
questions; however, we have a series of media files (some very large,
like a few gig) that need to be mirrored to a few hosts on a periodic
basis.  Hopefully, without overloading the link in the process.

Anyway, we plan on mirroring files that are current within 48hours.
Easy to build up that file list.

I might be concerned about specifying "download, then overwrite" or
"don't download if exists" and such (rsync can do some of these things).

Obviously, there's little sense in mirroring files if they already exist.

I'm also concerned about security.  We have a mix of Unix and Windows
servers that will be utilizing this process (whatever it ends up being).
  Apart from individual firewall rules, what's the best way to secure
udpcast from unwanted activity - this is a private network, but still
prudent to secure any open services.

Thanks.