[Udpcast] Exiting udp-receiver or reboot machine after a certain amount of time without transfer activity

Alain Knaff alain at knaff.lu
Tue Jan 30 02:32:53 CET 2007

Jens Breuer wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am curious whether there is an commandline option which could
> instruct udp-receiver to exit after a certain amount of time without
> any udp-sender activity or generally when the transfer process doesn't
> start.
> At least I could not find anything in the documents.
>
> We use udpcast together with PXE-boot and sometimes some machines are
> simply not responding to the sender (why is yet unclear). After
> manually restarting the machines it is usually the case that the
> machines to be imaged are responding again and everything is well.
> Unfortunately it could be the case that there are machines to be
> imaged which are placed in locked rooms and so it is impossible to
> restart them manually.
>
> Regards
> Jens

The new 20070129 version of udp-receiver now has a --start-timeout
option, which allows to specify a timeout, in seconds within which the
sender must send a rendez-vous packet, and then the first data packet.

If no rdv packet has been received with n seconds of starting
udp-receiver (or if the transmission hasn't started within n seconds of
sending the rdv packet), then the receiver aborts.

Once the transmission has started, the receiver continues, even if the
server becomes slow afterwards.