[Udpcast] Problems with Sata

Alain Knaff alain at knaff.lu
Wed Sep 13 17:22:19 CEST 2006

Rodrigo Oliveira Araújo wrote:
> Hello, i´m from a college at Brazil
>
> I had some problems with a SATA driver and updcast. My Western Digital Sata
> doesn´t have support, what could I do ?
>
> Sinceraly
> Rodrigo Oliveira Araujo

I pretty sure can tell you that it is *not* an issue with your hard disk
(Western Digital), but rather with the hard disk controller (usually
integrated in the motherboard). Indeed, the SATA protocol is
standardized, so it should work for all disks.

However, the I/O API of SATA controllers is not standardized. On some
motherboards you can change a BIOS setting to make it work. Look for
"SATA support", and try changing it from "native" to "legacy" or vice-versa.

On some boards, both settings work, but legacy is much slower. I've also
heard of a case where initially SATA didn't work (it was set to native),
but where changing it to "legacy" and then *back* to "native" suddenly
made it work...