[Udpcast] Suspected SATA problem with Toshiba Tecra M5

Alain Knaff alain at knaff.lu
Wed Sep 13 12:48:14 CEST 2006

Brian Dykstra wrote:
> The problem comes when we start imaging (sending or receiving).  After
> about 1.5GB at roughly 130Gbps everything starts spirally downward until

I think you mean Mbps here, or else you have a very fast network and
disk there ;-)

> eventually we are transferring data at about 14Gbps.  On a 100GB disk this
> is painful.

The bandwidth displayed is the network bandwidth needed by udpcast, and
if you have chosen compressed transfer, udpcast will need to transfer
much less data once it hits the very compressible areas of the hard
disks which are empty.

In that case, the disk speed, not the network speed, become the limiting
factor (because the program read the *un*compressed data from the disk
(needing a high bandwidth), but transfers compressed data over the
network (needing a lower bandwidth).

The uncompressed amount of data is still displayed at the end of the
status line. If this moves normally, you don't need to worry.