[Udpcast] Timeout , notAnswered, notReady

Michael D. Setzer II mikes at kuentos.guam.net
Fri Apr 28 09:49:29 CEST 2006

Date sent:      	Thu, 27 Apr 2006 20:50:39 -0700 (PDT)
From:           	"Mike Drew" <drewm at sonoma.edu>
To:             	udpcast at udpcast.linux.lu
Subject:        	[Udpcast] Timeout , notAnswered, notReady

> Hello everyone,
>
> I recently started using udpcast and so far am very impressed. I am
> however having a problem. When I try to udpcast to 5 clients, 1-3
> typically give an error similar to the following:
>
> Timeout notAnswered=[2,3,4] notReady=[2,3,4] nrAns=2 nrRead=2 nrPart=5
> avg=10152

I have seen a similar issue, but in my case, it appears that one of my
classroom systems has a hard drive that isn't able to keep up with the
transfer speeds as well as the other machines when it comes to the blank
space on the hard drive. I use the --max-bitrate=60M to get it to have
minimal error messages. When not imaging that machine, I can usually set it
to 80M and not get any or very few of these messages. Never seen any
problems with this message, but it does slow down things. I know it is the
hard drive, since I swapped it between two machine, and it moved with the
drive. Exactly the same drive model, so,  it is that particular drive.

> I've tried adjusting the transmission speed, multicast addresses, starting
> the clients before the server or vise-versa. So far it appears to be
> random which clients decide to "answer" and be "ready". Sometimes they all
> work, sometimes 4 work, sometimes only 1 works, etc.
>
> the lab I am working in is connected though a cisco 4006. From what I have
> read cisco uses a proprietary IGMP implementation (called CGMP), could
> this be a cause of some of the problems I am having?
>
> If anyone has any insight into this problem please reply.
>
> Thank you,
> Mike

  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:mikes at kuentos.guam.net
  mailto:msetzerii at gmail.com
  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
  Guam - Where America's Day Begins

http://setiathome.berkeley.edu
Number of Seti Units Returned:  19,471
(Total Hours: 287,489)

BOINC Seti at Home Total Credits 772196.012504