[Udpcast] Automatic reboot and DHCP-timeout

D Teed dteed at artistic.ca
Tue Jun 28 16:22:00 CEST 2005

On Tue, 28 Jun 2005, Lasse Riis wrote:

> Yeah, I know about the .post script from the mailling list. But I can't
> figure out how to put them in the initrd (Though  I've read about the
> makeSomething-script), and I have no idea how to --merge a new symlink?

Personally, I start with a ready-made image, uncompress the file,
mount it with something like: mount -o loop initrd /mnt/initrd
Then I copy everything into a new empty directory somewhere.
(You can umount the above now.) I make the changes I want in the
directory, then hop up one level and use genromfs to make a new
initrd based on that directories contents.  Editing within
the mounted initrd can work for very small changes,
but generally that can lead to space issues within the initrd.
If you have troubles with the mount command, you might
need to load a kernel module or recompile the
kernel on the dev box where you are trying this.

--Donald Teed