[Udpcast] Udpcast image does not complete boot

Jean-Paul Bauer jpbauer at sizwe.org
Fri Feb 18 02:32:56 CET 2005

I am having problems booting any one of the cd and floppy images. The kernel
starts booting up to the stage where it issues the following prompts:

 VFS: Mounted root (romfs filesystem) readonly.
 Mounted devfs on /dev
 Freeing unused kernel memory: 84k freed

After this the boot process hangs. I used the same cd/floppy to boot another
machine and it worked fine.

I have recompiled the kernel and made a new image with only the modules that I
need enabled and also tried using a monolithic kernel, all to no avail. I
also tried reducing the ramdisk size to 32000, but that also didn't work.
Using an image generated with the udpcast image generator and supplying all
the configuration parameters also didn't work.

The specs of the machine are:
 VGA controller: S3 Inc. Trio64V2
 Ethernet controller: Intel 82557
 Chipset: PIIX4
 NIC: eepro100
 RAM: 64MB
 CPU: Pentium MMX

I am kind of stumped what could be going wrong ...