[Udpcast] Question on DHCP/BOOTP and PXE

Donald Teed dteed at artistic.ca
Tue Oct 26 19:57:42 CEST 2004

I've scanned the man pages for dhcp and saught for
a howto on bootp with rarp and I can't find an answer/solution.

I want to set up a PXE boot server on a network where I should work with
an existing DHCP server but I cannot configure that DHCP server.

There is a Windows based PXE server on that
network which can take a given floppy and make it into
a PXE bootable option from the menu.  It uses
"DHCP proxy" to refer to the real DHCP server.
I've looked for an option like that for ISC DHCP but
can't spot it.

I've also checked out bootpd and rarpd.  I've used it before
to boot a single machine with a Linux kernel, but I don't
think it has the features to support a PXE boot environment for
any of the possible 4500 client machines on the network.

If anyone has a hint on how either of these approaches could work
to provide only PXE boot but either pass on or ignore
DHCP address requests, I'd like to hear of it.  Or otherwise
something different.  I'm working with floppyless notebooks,
and we'd rather not require CDs for booting either.

--Donald Teed