[Udpcast] udpcast scalability?

George Coulouris coulouri at ncbi.nlm.nih.gov
Mon Dec 13 20:31:02 CET 2004

Hello,

We'd like to use udpcast to distribute approximately 20G of data to ~100
machines on a daily basis. We currently have 72 machines, but usually
only 40-50 of them successfully transfer data.

The command lines look like:

udp-sender --max-bitrate 45m --full-duplex --min-wait 300 --pipe "tar -c
-f - source_directory"

udp-receiver --pipe "tar -x -f -"

We have a cron job which monitors a directory in NFS for a
flag file, and when the flag is raised, the sender starts up, and after
a short random timeout, the receivers start up. The receivers write
messages to syslog, so I can verify that they're starting up before
min-wait expires. Lengthening min-wait doesn't appear to have an effect.
We're on switched fast/gig ethernet.

Are there any reasons why the sender wouldn't be able to "see" more
receivers?

Thanks in advance.

George Coulouris
National Center for Biotechnology Information (contractor)