[Udpcast] making a custom boot disk

Alain Knaff alain at knaff.lu
Thu Oct 2 23:57:25 CEST 2003

On Thursday 02 October 2003 23:44, you wrote:
> Alain Knaff wrote:
> > Yes, it looks indeed as if it this is not enough for initrd. Try
>
> only
>
> > including those modules that you actually need into the initrd in
> > order to get a smaller initrd (with the --modules flag). Without
> > --modules, a default selection is picked which may not fit, because
> > your kernel is slightly larger than the default.
>
> I was able to run the makeImage pointing both to
> /usr/src/linux-2.4.21/arch/i386/boot/bzImage and to
> /lib/modules/2.4.21-udpcast/build/arch/i386/boot/bzImage.  I can either
> just specify the --module "module name" or I can do a --bzip2 and it
> writes to the disk fine.  The boot disk works also.  Now I need to put
> the bcm5700 modules on to the disk.  I'm not quite sure how to do this.
> I tried putting the compiled bcm5700.o driver into
> /lib/modules/2.4.21-udpcast/build/drivers/net and tried to recompile
> (make oldconfig and then do the other makes).  I recompiled from
> /lib/modules/2.4.21-udpcast/build/.  Then I did the makeImage and
> pointed it to use the bzImage from
> /lib/modules/2.4.21-udpcast/build/arch/i386/boot/.  I also specified
> --modules "bcm5700". However; now I get "Non-existant module "bcm5700".
> Any ideas?

There are two files in the library directory which list all modules
which are present: modules.dep and modules.pcimap

These are normally created automatically when doing a make
modules_install from the source kernel tree.

Now that we've found out that the initial problem was only a size
problem, maybe you can get back to your kernel that you downloaded
from ftp.kernel.org, and do a make modules_install there, check that
the files are present and both contain references to the bcm5700
module.

Once this is ok, call makeImage with the --module bcm5700 flag, and it
should be ok.

Note: with a self-compiled kernel, the --bzip2 flag won't work, unless
you also got the patch from http://shepard.kicks-ass.net/~cc/
as described in
http://udpcast.linux.lu/current/makeImage.html#kernelCompile

But if you only include one single module (bcm5700), the bzip2 option
shouldn't be needed anyways