[Udpcast] making a custom boot disk

Eric Becker Eric.Becker at wwt.com
Thu Oct 2 23:44:30 CEST 2003

Alain Knaff wrote:
> Yes, it looks indeed as if it this is not enough for initrd. Try
only
> including those modules that you actually need into the initrd in
> order to get a smaller initrd (with the --modules flag). Without
> --modules, a default selection is picked which may not fit, because
> your kernel is slightly larger than the default.

I was able to run the makeImage pointing both to
/usr/src/linux-2.4.21/arch/i386/boot/bzImage and to
/lib/modules/2.4.21-udpcast/build/arch/i386/boot/bzImage.  I can either
just specify the --module "module name" or I can do a --bzip2 and it
writes to the disk fine.  The boot disk works also.  Now I need to put
the bcm5700 modules on to the disk.  I'm not quite sure how to do this.
I tried putting the compiled bcm5700.o driver into
/lib/modules/2.4.21-udpcast/build/drivers/net and tried to recompile
(make oldconfig and then do the other makes).  I recompiled from
/lib/modules/2.4.21-udpcast/build/.  Then I did the makeImage and
pointed it to use the bzImage from
/lib/modules/2.4.21-udpcast/build/arch/i386/boot/.  I also specified
--modules "bcm5700". However; now I get "Non-existant module "bcm5700".
Any ideas?