[Udpcast] making a custom boot disk

Alain Knaff alain.knaff at lll.lu
Wed Oct 1 01:08:33 CEST 2003

On Tuesday 30 September 2003 23:58, Eric Becker wrote:
> I have some hp pc's that I'm trying to udpcast.  They have broadcom
> netxtreme network cards which don't seem to be supported by the default
> boot disk, nor by the net-mod.tar.gz secondary floppy.
>
> I followed the directions here
> http://udpcast.linux.lu/current/makeImage.html#kernelCompile on making a
> custom boot disk by compiling my own kernel.
>
> Before doing anything I edited the Makefile and changed the
> "extra-version" parameter.  I just deleted what was there and put in
> "-udpcast".  I do a cd /usr/src/linux/2.4.20-20.9.  Then I copy the
> udpc-config.txt file to this dir and name it .config.  Next I do a "make
> oldconfig" which runs fine and so does the "make dep".  However; when I
> do a "make bzImage" it runs for a while and then it stops with errors
> regarding devfs?  What am I doing wrong?

Could you post the exact error messages?

Also, are you sure that this is an original kernel (as distributed by
ftp.kernel.org). Indeed, the version number (2.4.20-20.9) strikes me
as somewhat odd...

> I even tried to download the RPM with a pre-compiled kernel and its
> modules, but I'm unsure what do with it.

Just install it with rpm -i , and then run makeImage

Or, alternatively, use the online image generator at
http://www.udpcast.linux.lu/cast-o-matic

>  Can someone please point me in
> the right direction?  All I need is a boot disk with the Broadcom
> drivers that gets me udpcasting.

Not sure whether the necessary module is in the pre-compiled kernel.

If not, try getting kernel sources from ftp.kernel.org, and compile
from these