[Udpcast] Re: Udpcast Alternative Boot Disks

Felix Rauch rauch at inf.ethz.ch
Wed Mar 12 20:52:17 CET 2003

On Wed, 12 Mar 2003, Andrew Cooks wrote:
> My next step is to recompile everything on my boot disk, using ulibc. Then
> there should be enough space to include a compression program on the boot
> disks, without using higher densities. I expect this should make quite a
> difference as well, seeing as the cpu is now free to do this kind of
> thing. I'm just not sure whether it's really possible to compress data
> fast enough. Gzip is not fast enough on the hardware I have. It would have
> to be faster than 95Mb/s to be of benefit in this situation.

I doubt that compression will give you any improvement. With
compression, the CPU and the memory subsystem become the bottlenecks
quite quickly. In my own experience, with compression there are simply
to many memory copy operations [1].

- Felix

[1] http://www.cs.inf.ethz.ch/~rauch/index.html#CCPE2002
Felix Rauch                      | Email: rauch at inf.ethz.ch
Institute for Computer Systems   | Homepage: http://www.cs.inf.ethz.ch/~rauch/
ETH Zentrum / RZ H18             | Phone: +41 1 632 7489
CH - 8092 Zuerich / Switzerland  | Fax:   +41 1 632 1307