[Udpcast] alternative boot disks

Nathaniel Sbar natsbar at yahoo.com
Tue Mar 11 04:41:43 CET 2003

--- John Allison <John_Allison at abss.k12.nc.us> wrote:
> acooks at cs.up.ac.za writes:
> >Hi
> >
> >I built a custom boot disk with a 2.4.20 kernel,
> dhcpcd and 3c59x and
> >eepro100 support and just the receiver, it fits on
> a standard 1.44MB
> >floppy. There is also a sender available with the
> same specs.
> >Anyone interested?
> >
> >I'm also having a little problem. I'm not sure if
> anything is actually
> >happening, because neither sender nor receiver
> prints anything to screen
> >after "press any key to start" and the subsequent
> keypress.
> >
> >One last thing: Is udpcast still in active
> development?
> >

> >Andrew
> >

> >-----------------------
> >Andrew Cooks
> >TechTeam                 	TechTeam -- "We make it
> work."
> >Computer Science dept.
> >University of Pretoria
>
> i don't know if udp cast is in actice development
> but i am still trying to get
> it to work with the new gigabit ethernet cards from
> intel.  there are to many
> e1000.o drivers to try and i have not got any to
> work yet.  i need the driver
> to go with a dell gx260 and sff gx260.  any kind
> words would be helpful.
>
> (John Allison †)

Well, I'm really no developer, but from my experience,
it's not the drivers per se.  I was able to get the
e1000.o drivers to work when I boot off a Knoppix CD,
but take that same driver and add it to UDPcast and
the GX260 suddenly doesn't have a recognizable NIC.
Yes, I did follow all the appropriate instructions for
putting the driver in the initrd file and making a new
cd .img. So I'm not enough of a hacker to say what the
problem is, but I hope I helped by saying what it
isn't.

Nate Sbar.
Lab Support Supervisor.
Marymount University.