[Udpcast] Quesiton on Kernel builds?

Alain Knaff alain at knaff.lu
Thu Oct 30 18:59:36 CET 2008

Michael D. Setzer II wrote:
> On 30 Oct 2008 at 16:38, Alain Knaff wrote:
>
> Date sent:      	Thu, 30 Oct 2008 16:38:39 +0100
> From:           	Alain Knaff <alain at knaff.lu>
> To:             	"Michael D. Setzer II" <mikes at kuentos.guam.net>
> Copies to:      	udpcast at udpcast.linux.lu
> Subject:        	Re: [Udpcast] Quesiton on Kernel builds?
>
>> Michael D. Setzer II wrote:
>>> I had looked at that before, but the system creates modules, and would require, and with the
>>> current setup of having about 10 kernels would require making many directories with these
>>> files, and since it resides in the filesystem, whereas the kernels with everything build in only
>>> take about 5 - 6 M that are in the isolinux directory, and don't take space on the ramdisk file
>>> system....
>> Well, theoretically, you could take my config file (to compile a kernel
>> with modules), boot it, find out which modules you need.
>>

> Thanks. If it were just for my machines, that would be no problem, but I get about 400 or so
> downloads of the program from sourceforge and freshmeat sites each day, so it kind of
> needs everything?  With my hardware, I get similar results with hdparm with the g4l (hda) or
> the fedora (sda).  But had one user that was getting very different results. Didn't get more
> info, so not sure what was causing it. My thought was that it might be using an older
> compatible mode of the controller, but not sure how it determines which driver to try first..
>
> Don't know if that many people are really using the program, or just downloading it, but it
> seems to work for most I guess, but if I can make it better I would like to.

Well, you could theoretically enable _all_ modules (by substituting =m
for =y everywhere) in my kernel config file. You'll get a huge kernel
(somewhat defeating the point of the customization), but it will work
for all machines.

There might however be some stuff that is useless for a udpcast-like
program, such as sound drivers, etc. If you notice any of these, you can
remove those