[Udpcast] Quesiton on Kernel builds?

Michael D. Setzer II mikes at kuentos.guam.net
Thu Oct 30 16:49:48 CET 2008

On 30 Oct 2008 at 16:38, Alain Knaff wrote:

Date sent:      	Thu, 30 Oct 2008 16:38:39 +0100
From:           	Alain Knaff <alain at knaff.lu>
To:             	"Michael D. Setzer II" <mikes at kuentos.guam.net>
Copies to:      	udpcast at udpcast.linux.lu
Subject:        	Re: [Udpcast] Quesiton on Kernel builds?

> Michael D. Setzer II wrote:
> > I had looked at that before, but the system creates modules, and would require, and with the
> > current setup of having about 10 kernels would require making many directories with these
> > files, and since it resides in the filesystem, whereas the kernels with everything build in only
> > take about 5 - 6 M that are in the isolinux directory, and don't take space on the ramdisk file
> > system....
>
> Well, theoretically, you could take my config file (to compile a kernel
> with modules), boot it, find out which modules you need.

Thanks. If it were just for my machines, that would be no problem, but I get about 400 or so
downloads of the program from sourceforge and freshmeat sites each day, so it kind of
needs everything?  With my hardware, I get similar results with hdparm with the g4l (hda) or
the fedora (sda).  But had one user that was getting very different results. Didn't get more
info, so not sure what was causing it. My thought was that it might be using an older
compatible mode of the controller, but not sure how it determines which driver to try first..

Don't know if that many people are really using the program, or just downloading it, but it
seems to work for most I guess, but if I can make it better I would like to.

> For the modules you need, replace the =m with =y to compile them in
> For the others remove them (by saying # CONFIG_FEATURE_XYZ is not set)
>
> > Thanks for the info, will have to look into things a  little more.
> >
> >> Alain
>
> Regards,
>
> Alain

  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:mikes at kuentos.guam.net
  mailto:msetzerii at gmail.com
  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
  Guam - Where America's Day Begins

Number of Seti Units Returned:  19,471
(Total Hours: 287,489)

BOINC at HOME CREDITS
SETI 6,693,814.7866 | EINSTEIN 2,075,050.6209 | ROSETTA 663,492.9235