[Udpcast] Quesiton on Kernel builds?

Michael D. Setzer II mikes at kuentos.guam.net
Thu Oct 30 16:08:26 CET 2008

On 30 Oct 2008 at 14:48, Alain Knaff wrote:

Date sent:      	Thu, 30 Oct 2008 14:48:24 +0100
From:           	Alain Knaff <alain at knaff.lu>
To:             	"Michael D. Setzer II" <mikes at kuentos.guam.net>
Copies to:      	udpcast at udpcast.linux.lu
Subject:        	Re: [Udpcast] Quesiton on Kernel builds?

> Michael D. Setzer II wrote:
> > I just build some new udpcast cd images, and noted that the ATA drives are now showing up
> > as sda instead of (hda) in the older version.The same issue occurred some time ago with
> > Fedora. Don't recall the exact version where it changed.
>
> Yes, most recent distributions do behave like this. Starting from kernel
> 2.6.24, I no longer managed to compile it to use the "old" names, so I had
> to move to sda.

How? I have build kernels all the way to 2.6.27.4, but it still shows the ATA devices as (hda).

> > I maintain the g4l disk imaging project, and include the udp-sender and udp-reciever on it,
> > but also recommend using udpcast for doing many machines at once. I actually create
> > images on my servers via g4l and ftp, but the use udpcast to image the lab machines from
> > one to many.
> >
> > For the g4l, I've build the kernel with everything built into the kernel, which makes a single
> > file, and the cd has a number of various kernels since some work with one setup of
> > hardware, while others may not. Except for one scis_wait something modual that always
> > builds as a modual, it is just the single bzImage files that I rename. Have currently created
> > images up the 2.6.27.4. This seems to work fine, and make the cd image easy to add, but it
> > still has the ATA disk coming up as (hda). Not a problem, but I've had a couple of users say
> > they are getting very slow disk performance on some setups. On my own machine, I seem to
> > see no difference in speed, but I'm wondering if on some systems, it is selecting a slower
> > compatible disk driver or something. At one point, I had a user with a SIS5513 controller that
> > required a kernel patch to get higher speeds, but believe that was resolved in an updated to
> > the kernel source that was suppose to get the correct bus speed.
> >
> > Wish I had more info on building kernels.
> >
> > Thanks.
>

> Check http://udpcast.linux.lu/mkimagedoc.html#kernelCompile for instructions

I had looked at that before, but the system creates modules, and would require, and with the
current setup of having about 10 kernels would require making many directories with these
files, and since it resides in the filesystem, whereas the kernels with everything build in only
take about 5 - 6 M that are in the isolinux directory, and don't take space on the ramdisk file
system....

Thanks for the info, will have to look into things a  little more.

> Alain

  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:mikes at kuentos.guam.net
  mailto:msetzerii at gmail.com
  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
  Guam - Where America's Day Begins

Number of Seti Units Returned:  19,471
(Total Hours: 287,489)

BOINC at HOME CREDITS
SETI 6,693,814.7866 | EINSTEIN 2,075,050.6209 | ROSETTA 663,492.9235