[Udpcast] Quesiton on Kernel builds?

Michael D. Setzer II mikes at kuentos.guam.net
Tue Oct 28 16:59:36 CET 2008

I just build some new udpcast cd images, and noted that the ATA drives are now showing up
as sda instead of (hda) in the older version.The same issue occurred some time ago with
Fedora. Don't recall the exact version where it changed.

I maintain the g4l disk imaging project, and include the udp-sender and udp-reciever on it,
but also recommend using udpcast for doing many machines at once. I actually create
images on my servers via g4l and ftp, but the use udpcast to image the lab machines from
one to many.

For the g4l, I've build the kernel with everything built into the kernel, which makes a single
file, and the cd has a number of various kernels since some work with one setup of
hardware, while others may not. Except for one scis_wait something modual that always
builds as a modual, it is just the single bzImage files that I rename. Have currently created
images up the 2.6.27.4. This seems to work fine, and make the cd image easy to add, but it
still has the ATA disk coming up as (hda). Not a problem, but I've had a couple of users say
they are getting very slow disk performance on some setups. On my own machine, I seem to
see no difference in speed, but I'm wondering if on some systems, it is selecting a slower
compatible disk driver or something. At one point, I had a user with a SIS5513 controller that
required a kernel patch to get higher speeds, but believe that was resolved in an updated to
the kernel source that was suppose to get the correct bus speed.

Wish I had more info on building kernels.

Thanks.

  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:mikes at kuentos.guam.net
  mailto:msetzerii at gmail.com
  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
  Guam - Where America's Day Begins

Number of Seti Units Returned:  19,471
(Total Hours: 287,489)

BOINC at HOME CREDITS
SETI 6,681,217.6794 | EINSTEIN 2,067,250.6609 | ROSETTA 659,343.5601