[Udpcast] Big Problem with cloned MACs

Pitt Leidner pitt.leidner at gmx.net
Sun Feb 17 14:28:51 CET 2008

Hi,

Am Sonntag, 17. Februar 2008 schrieb D G Teed:
> This story is so strange

yes ;-)
and BTW, thanks for your guidance

> that I think we need to take a look at whether
> it might be a false positive.
>
> Why do you say the MAC addresses are the same?

First:
Cause something looked so strange, I looked at the DHCP-Server (OpenSuse
10.3, running DHCP, TFTP, Apache2) to see at the log-files created by
this DHCP Server. Usually, I give IPs depending on the MAC.

Second:
Windows told it, using the "ipconfig -all" command. Same then with knoppix
(ifconfig).

Last and this is now my only reference to it, cause if checked that so
often: The PXE-Boot of the BIOS tells it at boottime during the first
screen, after PXE-Boot is up and before the PXE-Boot-menu comes up.

> What
> actual commands or steps did you take which revealed the MAC
> addresses?

> Is it ifconfig,

Yes, using any life CD like systools, knoppix, ...

> arp,

didn't ry this one.

> looking at DHCP logs,

Yes, this was my first sight to get an Idea, what was so strange (really,
I never thought to have Problems with a MAC)

> etc?

I'm ready to use any additionally tool...

> Whenever I see something which meets my disbelief I
> seek confirmation from another angle, in case the first tool
> is lying (picking up something from a file rather than live).

Good way! This is what I allmost going to try. But now, my different
angles are gone :-( So any input is welcome!

--
yours sincerely

Pitt