[Udpcast] Trouble with a 3com-812 router

Alain Knaff alain at knaff.lu
Wed Jun 14 11:49:49 CEST 2006

Paco Cruz wrote:
> Hello all
>
> I a have setup udpcast in a classroom at a Secondary School to
> distribute CDs and whole directorie trees, and it works like a charm,
> except for a minor nuissance.
>
> Everytime I want to use udpcast I have to disconnect from the 3com-812
> router that serves as a gateway.
>
> When I try to send anything with the gateway connected there is an
> extremely low transmission with errors el al. As soon as I disconnect
> the router the throughput goes up to 70-90 Mbps.
>
> Does anybody have any hint?
>
> Thank you all

Could be that the router is using a link speed of 10 Mbps, or slowing
everything down with flow-control packets.

Several solutions are possible, depending on the switch:

- Try enabling IGMP support if available (so that only those ports
interested in the transmission do get the traffic)
- Try disabling flow control (some switches support this on a per-port
basis... If that is the case, you only need to disable flow control on
the port to which that router is connected)