[Udpcast] Finding the slowpoke machine when ID numbers scroll away

D G Teed dteed at artistic.ca
Tue Jul 25 14:20:52 CEST 2006

On Sat, 15 Jul 2006, Alain Knaff wrote:

> D G Teed wrote:
>>
>> We have a bunch of notebooks to image and the guys
>> aren't willing to wait for the occassional messed up
>> notebook to image if it is dragging all of the others
>> down.  When one is showing as missing packets continually,
>> they want to disconnect it and carry on with the others.
>>
>> The problem is that with a recent version of udpcast we
>> are noticing that there are many "Press any key to start"
>> messages filling the screen of each client, so we can't
>> see what node number a client is.
>>
>> Is there any way to either:
>>  - eliminate the high number of repeated "press any key" appearances
>>    on the clients, or
>>  - get the node id of the udpcast client from the client
>>    console, or associate its udpast node number with an IP.
>>

> Something looks odd there. I just checked myself: in normal circumstances,
> the receivers only display a single "press any key" message (tested with the
> 20060619 version)
>
> Which command line options are you using? Could it be that the server is
> being restarted while clients have alreayd been connected to it?

Sorry about the delay, I was on vacation since this topic started.

Here is the command we use:

udp-sender --full-duplex --rexmit-hello-interval 700 --file
images/dell620.gz --min-clients 30

We had initially used the --rexmit-hello-interval flag due to
older hardware that wasn't always connecting on the first
attempt.  If you think it could be related to multiple
"press any key to start" prompts, we can peel it off.

I don't recall the exact udpcast version but the man page
shows June 22, 2006.

--Donald Teed