[Udpcast] Modify initrd from cast-o-matic for pxe

Alain Knaff alain at knaff.lu
Mon Jan 9 14:33:28 CET 2006

Jean Razack wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i want to add some modules and scripts to my initrd.
> At first I have decompressed the initrd with bzip2.
> Then I want to mount ("mount -o loop ./initrd /mnt/initrd"),
> but I get the Message that the Filesystem is missing and ext2 and ext3 don't
> work?
>
> What I have done wrong ???
>
> thx

Nowadays, the initrd image is a compressed cpio archive (unpack with
bzip2 -dc initrd | cpio -i . Careful: this command unpacks into current
directory)

Later, you can recompress the modified image with:

  find . -print | cpio -c -o | bzip2 -c >../initrd

(Again, this command should be run from within the initrd's root directory)

Or just use the --merge option with the makeImage utility to add any
additional files that you may need.