[Udpcast] Speed dropping down

Michael D. Setzer II mikes at kuentos.guam.net
Fri Mar 25 22:17:16 CET 2005

Not sure if this applies to your situation, but this is what I
have done in recent work to add udpcast as an option with
G4L.

I use G4L to create a image file on my server using lzop
compression.

I can then use
udp-sender --file image --max-bitrate 80m

What I originally tried on the clients didn't work, and I got a
reply that worked perfectly.

Why don't you simply use
udp-receiver --pipe 'lzop -d -c -' -f /dev/hda ?

I've also used the latest options to build boot diskettes that I created
with the mac table to assign ip addresses to each machine, and just
ran the model machine with sender mode with only the --max-bitrate
80m option to 19 machines. Setup the diskettes with default lzop
compression. Took about 50 minutes to image to 19 machines with
80 gb drives.

One last issue that I found in making images, is that clearing out
unused sectors makes a big difference. I did an image of a clean
install of linux on a drive, and it created a 12GB file. I then blanked
out the unused sectors, and got a 2.5GB file.
dd if=/dev/zero of=/0bits
rm /0bits

I've never used the PXE, so don't know if this doesn't apply, but it is
things that I found that make the udpcast work great for me.

Again, a geat program.