[Udpcast] Problems while creating an own pxe kernel and initrd

D Teed dteed at artistic.ca
Thu Dec 15 22:42:39 CET 2005

On Thu, 15 Dec 2005, Thomas Kuehling wrote:

> That's the same like in my config.
>

> > This initrd should be in the same location as the Linux kernel file.
>
> I know and they are both in the same folder.

I should have also added - these files are in the same place as
the pxelinux.0 file, and the default file is under
a directory called pxelinux.cfg  None of this goes inside
the initrd file, in case that was part of the confusion.

The error said specifically that no init was found.

When you do a 'file' on the initrd file, what does it
come back with?  You may have compressed it with a format
it can't handle.  Alternately, there may be a kernel
option which means it can't mount the initrd, but the
error really looked like a simple problem with getting
the name and location correct so I'd start with that end.

My own preference for building new init files, was to use
castomatic on the web, which is pretty nice, and then mount the initrd
so I can use the contents as a starting point.  Then after
I've added my own stuff, I used genromfs to recreate
a new initrd.  I don't think I bothered recompressing it
but I may be wrong - it has been awhile.

Check that all of the normal stuff is OK.  Is
the initrd file and so on readable to all?

I hope that helps...

--Donald Teed