[Udpcast] Problems while creating an own pxe kernel and initrd

Thomas Kuehling thomas.kuehling at mapsolute.com
Thu Dec 15 22:27:55 CET 2005

Hi,

On Thu, 2005-12-15 at 17:01 -0400, D Teed wrote:
> Hi,
>
> You didn't say how you booted (floppy, cdrom, network),
> and this is important for anyone to be able to give specific
> instructions to you.

sorry. I boot with PXE.

> If you are booting over PXE network boot, then this sounds
> like a problem in your defaults file.  Make sure you have
> included the append line which references the new init
>
> e.g.:
>
> default 1
> label 1
>    kernel vmlinuz-2.4.20-12.i586
>    append load_ramdisk=1 ramdisk_size=16384 initrd=initrd root=/dev/ram0

That's the same like in my config.

> This initrd should be in the same location as the Linux kernel file.

I know and they are both in the same folder.

Was my way of creating the files the correct way? I am confused about
compiling an own kernel with initrd. With the web-creator it's just an
easy way, but when i am missing modules wich i need, it's really hard to
get it running. :-(

I just think that my initrd is broken, becaus i created it wrong.