[Udpcast] Problems while creating an own pxe kernel and initrd

Thomas Kuehling thomas.kuehling at mapsolute.com
Thu Dec 15 21:01:40 CET 2005

Dear all,

with the standard initrd i build with the webcreator, it was not
possible to get this scsi-controller running. In the Dell Power Edge
1855s blades i've got this controller:

Perc4/IM | LSI  Logic MPT SCSI

I tried to build my own initrd and kernel. I compiled the kernel with
the initial .config of udpcast. I added the modules i thaught wich would
be correct.

[root at knecht linux-2.6.14.3]# diff udpc-config.txt .config
4c4
< # Sun Dec  4 09:43:24 2005
---
> # Thu Dec 15 20:05:22 2005
27d26
< CONFIG_KERNEL_BZIP2=y
346,347d344
< CONFIG_RD_BZIP2=y
< CONFIG_RD_GZIP=y
488,489c485,487
< # CONFIG_MEGARAID_NEWGEN is not set
< # CONFIG_MEGARAID_LEGACY is not set
---
> CONFIG_MEGARAID_NEWGEN=y
> CONFIG_MEGARAID_MM=m
> CONFIG_MEGARAID_MAILBOX=m
495,501c493,499
< CONFIG_SCSI_SATA_MV=m
< CONFIG_SCSI_SATA_NV=m
< CONFIG_SCSI_SATA_PROMISE=m
< CONFIG_SCSI_SATA_QSTOR=m
< CONFIG_SCSI_SATA_SX4=m
< CONFIG_SCSI_SATA_SIL=m
< CONFIG_SCSI_SATA_SIS=m
---
> # CONFIG_SCSI_SATA_MV is not set
> # CONFIG_SCSI_SATA_NV is not set
> # CONFIG_SCSI_SATA_PROMISE is not set
> # CONFIG_SCSI_SATA_QSTOR is not set
> # CONFIG_SCSI_SATA_SX4 is not set
> # CONFIG_SCSI_SATA_SIL is not set
> # CONFIG_SCSI_SATA_SIS is not set

Now i copied the bzImage to /tftpboot/udpcast/linux and created the
initrd like this:

[root at knecht ~]# makeImage
-k /usr/src/linux-2.6.14.3/arch/i386/boot/bzImage
--initrd /tftpboot/udpcast/initrd --fullbox

In the next step i booted the blade, after the kernel was stared i got a
kernel panic with this message:

Warning: unable to open an initial console.
Kernel panic - not synching: No init found. Try passing init= option to
kernel.

I searched with google for a soloution but found nothing helpfull. What
am i doing wrong? Could you help me please?

King regards
Thomas Kuehling
--
Mapsolute Gmbh - Techn. Administration - TK2325-RIPE
D├╝sseldorfer Stra├če 40a - 65760 Eschborn/Frankfurt a.M. - Germany