[Udpcast] Problems with udpcast in combination with a fileserver

Michael D. Setzer II mikes at kuentos.guam.net
Mon Dec 12 14:32:25 CET 2005

On 12 Dec 2005 at 13:36, Thomas Kuehling wrote:

Subject:        	Re: [Udpcast] Problems with udpcast in combination with a
	fileserver
From:           	Thomas Kuehling <thomas.kuehling at mapsolute.com>
Send reply to:  	thomas.kuehling at mapsolute.com
To:             	"Michael D. Setzer II" <mikes at kuentos.guam.net>
Copies to:      	udpcast at udpcast.linux.lu
Date sent:      	Mon, 12 Dec 2005 13:36:38 +0100

> Hi Michael,
>
> Am Montag, den 12.12.2005, 22:22 +1000 schrieb Michael D. Setzer II:
> >
> > Storing images on an ext3 partition should not make a difference
> > from what I can tell. I have written the last thru versions of g4l, and it
> > does exactly that. It uses dd with compression and then ftping it to
> > the server. I've even used the images created with g4l with udpcast.
> > I do note that when restoring an image to different drive, it has
> > problems if the heads / sector ratio is not exactly the sime. The
> > layout of the server that stores the image doesn't matter.
> >
> > I generally use g4l to create my images, and store them on a system
> > with two 250GB drives, but then use udpcast to image the one
> > system to the other 19 machines in the lab.
>
> do i understand you correct? You store an image of a complete system via
> ghost, but you clone all machines via udpcast? My problem is, that i'll
> get the next days 40 blades wich i have to install and udpcast seems to
> be the best way.

With my g4l program, it boots from the CD with kernel 2.6.14.3, and
some 2.6.14.2. I have statically compiled versions of udp-sender
and udp-reciever on the CD. I've used the g4l to create a lzop
compressed image on a fedora system, and then using udp-sender
on that machine, and udp-reciever on the workstations done a
clone. Most of the time, I reimage one machine, and do the system
updates, and then use udpcast diskette to put machine with the use
of an ipmac.txt file to set the ips.

> Perhaps i'll install one blade and clone the other machines from this
> one. But i fearing the controller in this machine. I read there is a
> Pear4/im raid controller included and as i saw, this modul is not yet
> included in the udpcast version :-(

Not sure, but the kernel on the g4l cd might handle that controller,
but you would have to see it. If it does work with the controller, you
could use the udp-sender and udp-reciever to send it. G4L might
work, but it would require a lot more time doing an image via the ftp
since it would require much more time than using multi-cast.

  mailto:mikes at kuentos.guam.net
  mailto:msetzerii at gmail.com
  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes