[Udpcast] Problems with udpcast in combination with a fileserver

Thomas Kuehling thomas.kuehling at mapsolute.com
Mon Dec 12 13:36:38 CET 2005

Hi Michael,

Am Montag, den 12.12.2005, 22:22 +1000 schrieb Michael D. Setzer II:

> Storing images on an ext3 partition should not make a difference
> from what I can tell. I have written the last thru versions of g4l, and it
> does exactly that. It uses dd with compression and then ftping it to
> the server. I've even used the images created with g4l with udpcast.
> I do note that when restoring an image to different drive, it has
> problems if the heads / sector ratio is not exactly the sime. The
> layout of the server that stores the image doesn't matter.
>
> I generally use g4l to create my images, and store them on a system
> with two 250GB drives, but then use udpcast to image the one
> system to the other 19 machines in the lab.

do i understand you correct? You store an image of a complete system via
ghost, but you clone all machines via udpcast? My problem is, that i'll
get the next days 40 blades wich i have to install and udpcast seems to
be the best way.

Perhaps i'll install one blade and clone the other machines from this
one. But i fearing the controller in this machine. I read there is a
Pear4/im raid controller included and as i saw, this modul is not yet
included in the udpcast version :-(

> [...]
>
> Subject:        	Re: [Udpcast] Problems with udpcast in combination with a fileserver
> From:           	Thomas Kuehling <thomas.kuehling at mapsolute.com>
> To:             	D Teed <dteed at artistic.ca>
> Date sent:      	Mon, 12 Dec 2005 13:07:05 +0100
> Copies to:      	udpcast at udpcast.linux.lu
> Send reply to:  	thomas.kuehling at mapsolute.com
> 	<mailto:udpcast-request at udpcast.linux.lu?subject=subscribe>
>
> > Hi Teed,
> >
> > Am Montag, den 12.12.2005, 07:51 -0400 schrieb D Teed:
> > > Are the disk geometries the same on the master and target notebooks?
> > > Is lilo or grub or other used as the boot loader?
> >
> > not really. On the fileserver i am using a 300 GB SATA Maxtor HDD and in
> > the Notebooks i've got a normal 60 GB HDD. I prefer to store several
> > images on the 300 GB HDD. As i read in the advanced doku, the option
> > --nosync for the udpreciever could help. I am just testing this.
> >
> > Therefore i tested directly to sync from one notebook to the other one
> > and this worked without any problems. I think the problem is the storing
> > of images on a normal ext3-partition.
> >

> > > If it is a problem from udpcast, I'd guess it has something to
> > > do with the first few bytes on the data.  I saw a problem
> > > like this before where we could not boot an IBM notebook
> > > recovery partition.  In our case the broadcom 5702 ethernet driver on
> > > the imaging server had a bug which went away in a 2.6.5 kernel
> > > driver.  TCP/IP was reliable, but the driver bug was specific to
> > > UDP multicast.  Even the Windows drivers for that Broadcom
> > > device had problems (at the time) immediately after DHCP connect.
> > > The other possible flaw that could go wrong is a bug
> > > in the ethernet driver on one of the notebook clients.
> > >
> > > Check the changelogs at kernel.org for hints there may be
> > > bug fixes for one of the ethernet devices you use.
> > >
> > > You can test to see if the images are the same on upload by
> > > using cmp to compare the image files.  Upload twice and
> > > compare.  Upload, image, and upload from the target and
> > > compare.
> > >
> > > This only works with gzip, as I learned, that lzop stores
> > > a timestamp inside the file.
> >
> > For testing-szenario i used only raw without any compression.
> >
> > > --Donald Teed

> > Mit freundlichen Grüßen
> > Thomas Kühling
> >
> > --
> > Mapsolute Gmbh - Techn. Administration - TK2325-RIPE
> > Düsseldorfer Straße 40a - 65760 Eschborn/Frankfurt a.M. - Germany
> > Phone: +49 6196 777 56 413 - Fax: +49 6196 777 56 100
> > E-Mail: thomas.kuehling at mapsolute.com - web: http://www.mapsolute.com

>   Michael D. Setzer II -  Computer Science Instructor
>   Guam Community College  Computer Center
>   mailto:mikes at kuentos.guam.net
>   mailto:msetzerii at gmail.com
>   http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
>   Guam - Where America's Day Begins
>
> http://setiathome.berkeley.edu
> Number of Seti Units Returned:  18,823
> Processing time:  32 years, 168 days, 23 hours, 32 minutes

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Thomas Kühling