[Udpcast] Problems with udpcast in combination with a fileserver

Thomas Kuehling thomas.kuehling at mapsolute.com
Mon Dec 12 13:07:05 CET 2005

Hi Teed,

Am Montag, den 12.12.2005, 07:51 -0400 schrieb D Teed:
> Are the disk geometries the same on the master and target notebooks?
> Is lilo or grub or other used as the boot loader?

not really. On the fileserver i am using a 300 GB SATA Maxtor HDD and in
the Notebooks i've got a normal 60 GB HDD. I prefer to store several
images on the 300 GB HDD. As i read in the advanced doku, the option
--nosync for the udpreciever could help. I am just testing this.

Therefore i tested directly to sync from one notebook to the other one
and this worked without any problems. I think the problem is the storing
of images on a normal ext3-partition.

> If it is a problem from udpcast, I'd guess it has something to
> do with the first few bytes on the data.  I saw a problem
> like this before where we could not boot an IBM notebook
> recovery partition.  In our case the broadcom 5702 ethernet driver on
> the imaging server had a bug which went away in a 2.6.5 kernel
> driver.  TCP/IP was reliable, but the driver bug was specific to
> UDP multicast.  Even the Windows drivers for that Broadcom
> device had problems (at the time) immediately after DHCP connect.
> The other possible flaw that could go wrong is a bug
> in the ethernet driver on one of the notebook clients.
>
> Check the changelogs at kernel.org for hints there may be
> bug fixes for one of the ethernet devices you use.
>
> You can test to see if the images are the same on upload by
> using cmp to compare the image files.  Upload twice and
> compare.  Upload, image, and upload from the target and
> compare.
>
> This only works with gzip, as I learned, that lzop stores
> a timestamp inside the file.

For testing-szenario i used only raw without any compression.