[Udpcast] Reliability - MD5sum's don't match

Matthew Cooke mpcooke3 at hotmail.com
Sat Jun 19 20:57:29 CEST 2004

Hi,

I wonder if someone could help me. I have started testing the
UDPreceive/udpsend programs for rolling out linux onto refurbished PC's for
a charity I work for. The idea is to role out linux onto 10-20 refurbished
PC's (at once) before shipping them to charities/schools/colleges that
really need them, mainly in Africa.

I am using the command line version because we are not transfering a raw
disk image we are transferring a tar'd tree and preparing the machines for
custom hardware detection (as all the hardware is basically random).

The tar file is about 1.2gig, and I am piping the output through both
md5sum and tar to extract it. When I tried this on 1 machine everything was
fine but today I tested it onto 5 machines in parallel and the MD5sum of
the result on all 5 clients did not match the server version (they did
however match each other) and the tar file appears to be slightly corrupted
(though the machines did boot ok).

So my question is "is it possible that the data is corrupted during
multicasting?"

and if so "Is there anything I can do to make it work reliably?"

There seem to be quite a few error correction parameters available, which
ones should I try first?

Any help much appreciated,
Matt.