[Udpcast] Image size bigger that actual space used

Lee Kransen lee at servision.net
Wed Jul 28 18:38:19 CEST 2004

1. Although 2.5/20 is currently in use it could be that much of the rest of
the 20GB was once written to and now does not contain strictly 0000000's. In
this case the compression will not be as great as it could be. You may want
to use the suggested procedure for Zero-izing your disk before turning it
into a compressed image. This will have to be done for each partition on the
disk.

On the live system, just create a huge file:

dd if=/dev/zero of=filler-file

After a while, the dd will error out with a "disk full" error.

Then, do a couple of syncs, and remove the file.

sync
sync
rm filler-file

2. lzop is designed for speed and not compression. Try setting the
compression level to -7, -8, or -9 for better compression.

Lee