[Udpcast] Cloning Live Machine

Christopher Curtis chris.curtis at riptidesoftware.com
Tue Jul 20 20:19:48 CEST 2004

Alain Knaff wrote:
> On Tuesday 20 July 2004 18:24, Lee Kransen wrote:
>
>>In my scenario I would like to run DHCP and TFTP on one machine and use a
>>second running machine as the sender. Is this possible to do with UDPCast?
>>This would mean copying a live (online) machine, is that a problem? How
>>would I set this up?
>
> Actually, udpcasting a live machine could even lead to a worse
> situation, as the different sectors do not even correspond to one
> given moment in time (beginning of hard disks corresponds to an
> earlyer state), and it's quite possible that the filesystem drivers
> are less prepared with that kind of situation.

Actually, in practice, you'll probably find that most of the time it
"just works".  However, if you have LVM installed, you could make a
snapshot of the image before you udpcast it.  Most of the data that's
not written to disk is "inoccuous" stuff such as logfiles.  However, I
wouldn't try this to make a copy of a running database, for instance.

YMMV

Chris