[Udpcast] Cloning Live Machine

Alain Knaff alain.knaff at lll.lu
Tue Jul 20 19:40:25 CEST 2004

On Tuesday 20 July 2004 18:24, Lee Kransen wrote:
> In my scenario I would like to run DHCP and TFTP on one machine and use a
> second running machine as the sender. Is this possible to do with UDPCast?
> This would mean copying a live (online) machine, is that a problem? How
> would I set this up?
>

> Thanks

Never tried it out, at first glance it should be equivalent of
restarting a machine which was improperly shut down. I.e. works in
most cases, but occasionally goes fubar.

Actually, udpcasting a live machine could even lead to a worse
situation, as the different sectors do not even correspond to one
given moment in time (beginning of hard disks corresponds to an
earlyer state), and it's quite possible that the filesystem drivers
are less prepared with that kind of situation.