[Udpcast] poweroff not doing the job

Felix Rauch rauch at inf.ethz.ch
Thu Jul 15 07:06:23 CEST 2004

On Wed, 14 Jul 2004, Donald Teed wrote:
[...]
> In the case of nothing being mounted, is there any potential
> for damage to the client system by powering off this way inside
> udpreceiver.post?

If you are cloning directly to a hard-disk partition, there might (as
far as I know) still be some blocks in the buffer cache that have not
been written to disk (I assume that your apm command will halt the
machine immediately, but I could be wrong).

Alternatively, you could either first issue a "sync" command before
halting the machine, or then shutdown the machine by executing the
"shutdown" command with the proper arguments (like "-h" or "-P").

- Felix