[Udpcast] Re: Problem with recovery partition data

Alain Knaff alain at knaff.lu
Mon Apr 19 19:56:08 CEST 2004

begin  Monday 19 April 2004 17:52, Donald Teed quote:
> In general, should a disk image be identical each time
> when compressed with lzop?  I mean, does it make sense to
> verify the image by doing this:
>
> cmp image1.lzop image2.lzop
>
> where image2 was created by sending and receiving again image1?

No, unfortunately this doesn't work out: lzop includes the date in the
compressed file, so compressing twice the same device yields different
results.

Obviously, if you decompress these two different files again, you get
the same contents however.

Thus, for comparison purposes, best work on *un*compressed data.

N.B. If you do the test on a file (rather than on a device), it will
work, because in that case, the date used is the one from the file,
rather than current time.