Problem with recovery partition data

Donald Teed dteed at artistic.ca
Tue Apr 13 22:17:50 CEST 2004

I read someone saying they had excellent performance with lzop, so
I switched to an initrd with lzop as the default at the same
time I picked up your latest updates on Monday.  So I guess
it can't be data corruption on that level.  I did another test
this afternoon - checked that the original did work with F11,
sent it, restored to the same machine and hard drive and F11
did not work.  This run was with the acpid stopped and KDE
sound server not starting on the server machine.

Given that a dd style of imaging should be working, where do you
suggest I start looking for something that could be more robust?
Should I replace busybox with another kernel that might provide
better module support for the ethernet, etc.?  Should I get
rid of Xandros for the server and try another Linux distribution like
Slackware for the TFTPD and DHCP platform (which again allows to
substitute kernels for something that might be better)?

I can only assume the F11 flaw is a symptom of data loss in this
process, since the software sees the partition table information as
simple 1's and 0's.  If it is possible for the F11 feature to be
busted, it might also be possible for other data to be wrong
but superficially appear to be mostly OK.

At this stage in our work we need to verify in the next few days
that udpcast will work for us or look for another application
or commercial product.

Regards,

--Donald Teed