[Udpcast] UDPCast Performance : 1 Server, 1 Client without any switch

Alain Knaff alain at knaff.lu
Tue Jun 17 14:54:35 CEST 2003

On Tuesday 17 June 2003 13:54, Saikrishna Dasari wrote:
> Hi Alian,
>  I have been recording the performance statistics of UDPCast for different
> system setups ( i.e ..(1 server, 3 clients), ( 1 server, 8 clients), (1
> server, 1 client) etc) . When I was testing the 1 Server , 1 Client
> configuration I connected the server and client with a direct cable
> inbetween and since those two machines are independent of other netwroks I
> was expecting no retransmission messages  during the transfer..But UDPCast
> shows several retransmission messages . I was confused by this. Since there
> are only two machines that are directly hooked up by a cable there
> shouldn't be any network traffic or congestion related issues. and these
> two machines are exactly identical in every respect.
> I am curious to know the possible reason.
> Thanks in advance.
> Sai

There can be any number of reasons for this: bad cable, overloaded
receiving machine, alpha particles from space, etc. ;-) IP is not a
guaranteed delivery protocol, thus losses may happen.... The important
thing to know is how many packets are lost, percentagewise. In ideal
circumstances, I would expect the loss rate to be under 0.1%