[Udpcast] Image Distribution Consistency

Gianni Minetti gianni at gminetti.net
Sun Jun 15 20:31:02 CEST 2003

Hi to everybody.

I understand that udpcast guarantees  the integrity of the transmitted data
through FEC redundancy  code model but how can one be assured , beside
integrity,  also of consistency of the transmitted data, defining
consistency as the property the all the hosts being part of the multicast
group have received the data?

I mean, if my multicasting model is composed of N host and I schedule to
send a different file every T minutes, how can I detect the condition of  D
hosts not  reachable for a time >T (tahr result in data copied only on N-D
hosts)?
Should I check the 'health'  of all my N hosts before to run udpcast using
icmp?

For the application I've in mind it's very important to know what has or
hasn't been delivered to whom so, I would like to encourage everyone who
has had a similar problem or has some idea how to cope with.

Thanks a lot in advance for your suggestions.

Regerds,

Gianni