[Udpcast] bootable CD

Nathaniel Sbar nathaniel.sbar at marymount.edu
Tue Dec 17 21:54:33 CET 2002

I'm trying to make a bootable UDPcast CD and I really did RTFM.  This is the problem I'm running into and I was hoping somebody out there could hold my hand.

I wanted to add a NIC driver to the list of drivers that UDPcast (specifically the Intel Pro/1000 MT) uses.  The e1000.o file that I downloaded from Intel has the problem that it is too large to fit on the floppy boot disk (and yes, I did follow those instructions concerning the zipping and mounting of the initrd file).

Using the same theory and instructions, I decided that I might have a better go of it on a bootable CD where space is not yet an issue.  First I just burned a CD without trying to modify it.  I tested the CD and was pleasantly surprised to find that not only did the CD boot properly, but it seemed to have the Intel Pro/1000 drivers already installed.  Unfortunately, those drivers couldn't detect my NIC, so I figured that the drivers were not recent enough to work on the particular iteration of the Intel 1000 NIC series in my machine.

Well, I went on the replacement binge.  Downloaded the drivers from Intel, ran make to compile everything and get a nice little e1000.o driver file, followed the bootable floppy directions on the CD to extract and mount initrd, replaced the existing e1000.o file with the one I just downloaded and compiled, rearchived and renamed the file back to initrd (all caps like the original on the CD), copied the new initrd file to a zip disk, took the zip disk and the old CD to a windows machine (the only linux box on campus has no CD-R) copied the contents of the old CD to the windows hard drive minus the old initrd file, copied the new initrd file to the windows hard drive, and started burning.

After making several coasters, I found that I could not make any of these CD's bootable even though the CD burned just fine.  I am using roxio 5 as my burning software and tried a few of the options to try to make a bootable CD.  Just because I forgot to mention it before, yes I did change the boot sequence in the BIOS before trying to boot the CD.  That's all the information I have right now.  Can anybody tell me what I'm doing wrong.  Please help a newbie justify the GPL in a very pro windows environment and thank you in advance for any help you can provide.

Nate Sbar.